An iPad in pit lane? Sure.

Posted on: April 30, 2010 | Comments(19) | Drivers, New Media | By: Daniel

During the Long Beach GP weekend, some of us where holed up in the basement media center for the weekend. We occasionally got up for some sun and race action, but most of the time we typed on our laptops updating IndyCar.com, adding images to Flickr, tweeting and more. The highlight, especially for a new media guy,  was looking up during the IndyCar session and seeing Tony Kanaan holding an iPad on TV -

Kanaan iPad

Tony Kanaan Tweeting?

If you’re a geek like me or an Apple fan, it’s hard not to get excited by this image. We posted this screen shot to Flickr over the LB weekend and it quickly become our most popular picture of the weekend. Was he tweeting, reading a book, looking at Timing and Scoring? I wondered the same. Technology is an integral part of the IndyCar Series, so it’s not too surprising to see an iPad – but it is pretty cool nonetheless. I wanted to know more.

This also got me thinking. Are there any other sports or athletes utilizing the iPad during games, races, events? I know that the iPad is perfect for sports fans and fantasy leagues, but I couldn’t find any examples of athletes or coaches utilizing it during ‘a game’. Is Tony the first athlete to use an iPad professionally?  He might be, but I’m not sure – and if you know, please comment.

So what was Tony doing with the iPad? We visited him yesterday at the Andretti Autosport garage during a quiet day at Kansas Speedway to find out. Tony is web savvy, active on twitter and a tech junkie and explains everything in this clip. Enjoy.

Comments

1. Nina Simon on April 30, 2010 12:24 pm
    Nina Simon

Great clip, fascinating bit. I wonder which sports are most tech-friendly in different ways.

2. Matthew Murray on April 30, 2010 2:19 pm
    Matthew Murray

Very cool. I’ll be bringing mine to Indy in May. Will IMS let me bring it in to the track? Should be some great racing this year. My bet is on the Andretti Autosport team.

3. BW on April 30, 2010 3:10 pm
    BW

As long as your beer isn’t in a glass bottle and you leave your little brother at home, you can bring just about anything

4. Matthew Murray on April 30, 2010 3:15 pm
    Matthew Murray

Nice. Thanks for the laughs BW.

5. Ro on April 30, 2010 4:00 pm
    Ro

Apple should kick in some $$ for sponsorship. What a great sell!!

6. TC Muniz Relvas on April 30, 2010 4:09 pm
    TC Muniz Relvas

Soccer can be also an interesting environment for gadgets. Here is a story about a Manchester United goalkepper who used an iPod to watch the patterns of his opponents in penalty kicks http://www.crunchgear.com/2009/03/02/manchester-united-goalkeeper-used-ipod-to-help-his-team-win-carling-cup/

Cheers!

7. Daniel on April 30, 2010 4:23 pm
    Daniel

Thanks everyone for your comments.

TC – I do recall Ben Foster studying opponents penalty kicks now that you mention it. SO COOL.

8. Mario Lordeiro on April 30, 2010 6:23 pm
    Mario Lordeiro

It is a nice and spontaneous ad. Apple should watch it. iPad has everything to do with sport. Great clip Tony! You will win this race!

9. An iPad in pit lane? Sure. | Indycar on May 1, 2010 1:06 am
    An iPad in pit lane? Sure. | Indycar

[...] Share this on Facebook [...]

10. Brasileiro Tony Kanaan utiliza um iPad nas corridas da IndyCar | MacMagazine on May 1, 2010 10:57 am
    Brasileiro Tony Kanaan utiliza um iPad nas corridas da IndyCar | MacMagazine

[...] IZOD IndyCar] [...]

11. Joe Welder on May 1, 2010 12:09 pm
    Joe Welder

Good, interesting video! Wow the series really seems to be taking off. Izod has had a very positive impact. . . I’m going to update my wardrobe soon!

12. Mark Murrell on May 1, 2010 1:54 pm
    Mark Murrell

He should grab the new Track Guide app from National Speedway Directory! http://bit.ly/9RU1AO

13. Nick on May 1, 2010 3:31 pm
    Nick

I found this cool feature on the Future of the Indy 500 on Indianapolis Monthly’s website, check it out! http://www.indianapolismonthly.com/2010/05-May/Features/Future-of-the-500/The-Future-of-the-500.aspx

14. iPad Case Study: What Problem Does it Solve For You? | Coffee with Harrison Painter on May 12, 2010 3:31 pm

[...] Harrison Painter Social Media Consultant 317.871.1000 Video Credits and Original blog post to: IndyCar Blog var a2a_config = a2a_config || {}; a2a_config.linkname="iPad Case Study: What Problem Does it [...]

15. Hideki, a Nintendo DS and rain day | The Official Blog of the IZOD IndyCar Series on May 18, 2010 5:50 pm

[...] a recent post, I wrote about seeing Tony Kanaan using an iPad in pitlane – very cool. After that, I started [...]

16. Charlie on June 2, 2010 10:23 am
    Charlie

Hi, how is Tony reviewing this data on the iPad? Is it a custom application… an Excel spreadsheet…? Thanks for any info!

17. Web Talk with Tony Kanaan | The Official Blog of the IZOD IndyCar Series on September 6, 2010 12:33 pm
    Web Talk with Tony Kanaan | The Official Blog of the IZOD IndyCar Series

[...] was spotted earlier this season, using an iPad in pit [...]

18. Flickr and most views | The Official Blog of the IZOD IndyCar Series on October 24, 2010 7:47 pm
    Flickr and most views | The Official Blog of the IZOD IndyCar Series

[...] is? It’s a screen capture of Tony Kanaan in pit lane at Long Beach. This pic also inspired a blog post earlier this year. He certainly gets cool points for this. TK checking out timing and scoring in [...]

19. X10 mini on April 19, 2013 11:59 pm
    X10 mini

Hi there this is kinda of off topic but I was wanting to
    know if blogs use WYSIWYG editors or if you have to manually code
    with HTML. I’m starting a blog soon but have no coding experience so I wanted to get advice from someone with experience. Any help would be greatly appreciated!