iRacing revealed

Posted on: June 21, 2010 | Comments(11) | Drivers, New Media, iRacing | By: Brian

Ever wanted to go wheel-to-wheel in an IZOD Indycar Series Dallara?  Dreamed of passing Tomas Scheckter on the outiside in turn one at Indianapolis?  Wondered what it would feel like to be chased around Watkins Glen by Justin Wilson and Will Power?  Yearned to fight for a championship and clinch it in the last race?  Well… I’ve experience it all and you can too.

If you’re an avid gamer or hard-core IZOD IndyCar Series fan chances are you’ve heard of iRacing previously.  If not, allow me to educate you.  iRacing is in one word… INCREDIBLE!  It’s an internet based racing simulator where any member can hop in and race cars ranging from a Pontiac Solstice to the famed Honda powered Dallara IndyCar on race tracks spanning from the historic Mazda Raceway Laguna Seca to the legendary Indianapolis Motor Speedway.

iRacing Action

iRacing Action

iRacing is unlike any other racing “game” and the proof is in the pudding.  Numerous professional racers frequent iRacing not only for fun but as a training tool for their professional careers.  World famous drivers such as Will Power, Justin Wilson, Tomas Scheckter, Oriol Servia, Takuma Sato, Dale Earnhardt Jr, Joey Logano, and Marcos Ambrose can be found on iRacing any given night of the week.

I am lucky enough to be the co-founder and inaugural champion of one of the most elite and popular IndyCar leagues on iRacing, The 16th Street Racing League.  I started this league with my best-friend, Tony George Jr, for no other reason than we wanted to set a challenging and extremely fun schedule.  As time has gone on, it has grown into one of the most exciting things I have ever been a part of.  Through some mutual friends, Tony and I were able to get a couple of IZOD IndyCar Series drivers to show up for a few of our races in the first season.  Word spread quickly.  Now we have seven IZOD IndyCar and Firestone Indy Lights drivers that regularly show up to our races.  It doesn’t end there.  We also have former Nationwide Series drivers Kyle Krisiloff and Billy Wease and Grand-Am competitor Jordan Taylor as regular participants in our league.  In addition we have had one of our races broadcast live via the internet on PSRTV.COM.   We’ve been featured on inRacingNews.com and I’d realized things had really gotten big when Three Wide Life contacted us.

Three Wide Life is an entertaining and informative TV show about the people who make the green flag drop week to week. The show examines life inside the garage, targeting the hard-core race fan. Three Wide Life is meant not only to entertain the race fans, but to also educate new viewers about the drivers, the business, and the people behind the teams.  The show informed us they would be in Indianapolis during May and were interested in meeting up to film a short segment. I felt quite a sense of accomplishment when I arrived at the shoot and found that Justin Wilson, Will Power, Tomas Scheckter, PJ Chesson, and Larry Foyt had all shown up to discuss iRacing and more specifically our league.

It was a great day and a great chance to get to meet the IZOD IndyCar Series drivers that I had been racing with over the past year.  We hope to have our races broadcast via the internet in the upcoming months and if you’re interested in joining us head over to iRacing.com and purchase a membership.  See you on track!

Comments

1. Ryan Worden on June 21, 2010 8:58 pm
    Ryan Worden

Nice story, good to know about the leagues out there. What steering wheel do you recommend?

2. Brian on June 22, 2010 9:04 am
    Brian

Hey Ryan,
    I use a G25… when I was at the iRacing trailer they had the new G27 hooked up and it was very nice. So if you’re in the market for a brand new, somewhat expensive wheel, go for that. If not… I’m sure you can get a G25 for relatively cheap now.

3. Kevin Begrosu on June 22, 2010 9:54 am
    Kevin Begrosu

Interesting stuff! Does your iRacing series run concurrently with the IndyCar season or in the off season?

4. Brian on June 22, 2010 10:07 am
    Brian

Kevin,
    We run year round. In fact, tonight is our third race of the “Summer 2010″ season. We attempt to follow the real life IZOD IndyCar Series schedule during the summer… meaning we try to run our races on Tuesday nights at the same track the IICS drivers will be racing at the following weekend.

We have a total of 4 seasons a year. Winter, Spring, Summer and Fall.

5. Casey on June 22, 2010 8:41 pm
    Casey

I’ve played iracing, and love driving the indycar, I’ve had some good setups go terrible with updates but its still a blast! How can I get into a race with the IRL drivers?

6. Ryan Murray on June 23, 2010 12:29 am
    Ryan Murray

Excellent article, Brian.

Very proud to be a part of this league for the better part of the last year, it’s truly something special.

7. Brian on June 23, 2010 8:36 am
    Brian

Ryan,
    Glad to have you.

Casey,
    If you’re interested in racing with us your best bet is to try and get in a practice session with us during the week/weekend. We have open practice numerous times during the week. So if you see a “16th Street Racing League” session hop in and race.

8. VSciuto on June 24, 2010 3:04 pm
    VSciuto

Another proud, and happy 16th Street member here. I’ve been with 16th Street since the very first race back in November. It’s a great group of guys to virtually race with! :)

Besides Brian & Tony, I, and several other members, often host practice sessions for our next upcoming track on the schedule. When I do, I list “16th Street” in the Server Name & Description. The sessions I start are generally always open to the Public too, unless there’s a reason to password it for members only, but I rarely do that. If you see one of my sessions listed and it’s not passworded, please feel free to check it out. ;)

9. 16th Street Racing League: Watkins Glen Edition | The Official Blog of the IZOD IndyCar Series on June 29, 2010 10:40 am

[...] my last blog entry things have really taken off for the 16th Street Racing League. Our race this past Tuesday truly [...]

10. Leslie on July 1, 2010 3:08 pm
    Leslie

This sounds awesome. I want to try it!

11. otto kinzel on August 25, 2010 8:52 pm
    otto kinzel

can i join the 16th & georgetown league? I do iRacing now, do I have to have a specific competition licence to join this league?