Perfect weather here in Edmonton today for a race of any kind, especially an IndyCar race. The weather is perfect for race fans as well. Mentioning the fans, Edmonton has some enthusiastic and supportive ones. They have shown up everyday ready for some IndyCar action and sporting their favorite driver’s colors. Being a newbie here at City Centre Raceway I decided to get some insight from the fans. I wanted to know the best places to be, the favored drivers in Edmonton, and how the fans spend their City Centre race day.

Woo hoo, Qualifications!

Fans in Edmonton!

When I asked the fans the way they spent their time at the track most responded with the Paddock. In the Paddock area fans can be up close and personal with the teams, the cars, and even the drivers. It’s a great place to get pictures of your favorite drivers and racing legends like A.J. Foyt and Rick Mears. What fan wouldn’t want to spend time in the Paddock area?

The best place to be at the Edmonton race track? The answer was unanimous, Turn 1 of course. However, this year the stands in Turn 1 have been removed. Most of the fans said Turn 1 holds some of their favorite racing memories and they are sad to see the stands go.

I then put the fans on the spot by asking them if they could have a ride with one driver who would it be and why? The answers varied. Will Power was one answer, simply because he is fast was the reasoning for one fan. Dario Franchitti was another answer, who wouldn’t want to ride with an Indy 500 champion? The answer for most was Danica Patrick. Answering Danica came as no surprise, especially if you were to walk around the City Centre track today. Danica Patrick shirts are every where you turn!

Then a special pair of people caught my eye. The two were sitting in the stands watching the Firestone Indy Lights warm up and looked as if they were great fans. Father and daughter Ben and Kristina were shaded from the sun in their IZOD IndyCar hats that had been autographed by their favorite drivers. I decided to ask their opinion on Edmonton.

3DRG1196

Father and Daughter Enjoy Race Day

Favorite part of the Edmonton experience?

The race, of course. Ben and Kristina are big fans of the Indy Lights series too. Turn 1 was always a favorite aspect for the two, and they too were sad to see the stands go.

What driver would you like to see win?

For the Indy Lights Edmonton 100 Kristina and Ben would like to see Dan Clarke take the victory. As for IndyCar, Justin Wilson is who they would like to see in the winner’s circle.

If you could ride with one driver who would it be? Why?

Ben’s answer was Paul Tracy. “Tracy is an aggressive driver,” said Ben. For Kristina it would be Graham Rahal. She has always enjoyed watching him.

The fans were great in Edmonton and they all seemed to be dedicated fans. Every one of them had a reason for coming to Edmonton and returning year after year. My first time in Edmonton was made that much better by the willingness of the fans and I’ll be sure to check out Turn 1.  Edmonton is a great stop on the IndyCar schedule, eh?

Comments

1. Richard Siorek on July 25, 2010 7:56 pm
    Richard Siorek

I think your call on Catroneves in the closing laps was WRONG on many levels. It makes me less likely to enjoy the races when you do this. Fire the BOSS!!!!!! Randy. He sucks as an official observer. There was no blocking!

2. mark on July 25, 2010 8:02 pm
    mark

I’ve been a fan of CART since 85 and this is a sad day when the officials determine the results of a race based on a subjective decision made in a matter of seconds. Why the hell should we bother watching if you don’t let the drivers compete? VERY DISAPPOINTED!!! Fire Randy.

3. Tim on July 25, 2010 8:08 pm
    Tim

Hmmmm, if the officials are not going to let the racers race then they may want to consider determining the winner by the qualifying time. That will save all of us race fans some time and we can just watch F1 or NASCAR. What are you thinking.

4. Michele on July 25, 2010 8:09 pm
    Michele

Castroneves did NOT block Will Power!!! That was the worst call I’ve seen made by an official in years!! I too am VERY disappointed in how this ended! Will Power, that was a spineless comment you made after the race. Penske should kick your ass!!

5. Jeff Reavis on July 25, 2010 8:13 pm
    Jeff Reavis

That call was a joke.There was no blocking.Races should be decided on the track.
    “ONE PISSED OFF RACE FAN”

6. TheChrisD on July 25, 2010 8:28 pm
    TheChrisD

That was not an IndyCar race. That was a cross between an F1 and a NASCAR race. Taking the really bad race control calls from NASCAR, with the politics and controversy from F1 to make one hell of a bad result.

7. fuelpump on July 25, 2010 8:33 pm
    fuelpump

A new low in open wheel racing. Shame on the IRL. Thats not the way to grow your fan base. Pure bush league.

8. Alexandre Gomes on July 25, 2010 8:34 pm
    Alexandre Gomes

A sad day for motorsports and even worse for all Brazilian fans. Felipe Massa for his weak personality and Castroneves for the IRL non-sense blocking penality.

9. bmackenzie on July 25, 2010 8:41 pm
    bmackenzie

That call sucked…he did not block…Mr Brian Barnhardt, should go back to the barn and learn how to call a race. This the most stupid call we have seen, we watch ever week and you really pissed us off. With a league that is suffering…. maybe you better learn how to call a race. Remember Indy you are nothing without the fans…do not forget it….

10. kevin blanco on July 25, 2010 9:01 pm
    kevin blanco

The call was wrong Helio won the race and as for Will Powers he should be fired for his comments, he should stop racing with a dress because it gets in your face and you can’t see what really happens

11. Bill on July 25, 2010 10:03 pm
    Bill

This has got to be the worst call in years. I’m glad I didn’t pay good money to see this farce. The fans COULD NOT HAVE KNOWN Helio was being penalized. I’ll still bet most folks think he won the race. Brian Barnhart better go back and review this one several times. That was a terrible call.
    And as for Will Power’s comments…..son that is not what a “team player” says. You better go talk to Roger now. I think you may be in the dog house

12. Kevin on July 26, 2010 12:24 am
    Kevin

You say IndyCar needs a larger fan base, more viewers and tickets sold, keep showing everyone how you play. BAD FORM!

13. Mike Warnke on July 26, 2010 9:32 am
    Mike Warnke

What a sad sad day for Indy racing! Will Power is sooo in love with himself that he couldn’t just be a “Team Player” and stay as Helio’s wingman for two laps. Will has to win “every” race no matter what. Will still came in second and allowed Dixon to take first , Franchitti to take third and knocked Helio back to tenth. Real smart – Sherlock! I bet their still laughing about that over beers at Target racing on how big Will Power’s head is. I wish Mr Penske whom I admire greatly, would let “Willy” know that this is about TEAM and not about one person. Lastly – as a retired USMC SgtMaj I have learned alot about individual personalities and I tell you two things :”Willy” Power is NO TEAM PLAYER and second : If his dick was long enough, he would not allow anyone else to touch it – he would just suck it himself! Period.

14. Brian on July 26, 2010 11:58 am
    Brian

A hypothetical line dividing the track in half? WHAT?!!! Either let these guys race or kill the series. Edmonton was an absolutely pathetic display and a reminder of why IndyCar has become irrelevant over the last 15 years. NASCAR is letting its drivers send one another into the wall, and we’re penalizing guys for not putting toilet paper on the seat before they take a crap. Barnhardt is incompetent.

15. Brooks on July 26, 2010 2:25 pm
    Brooks

Helio won, wake up and use your brains. Your rule on blocking is illogical and Brian Barnhart has no more qualifications than myself to make this idiotic calls.

16. David Williams on July 26, 2010 3:11 pm
    David Williams

Despite Barnhart’s clear explanation of the blocking rule in the drivers meeting, I don’t think it applies in this case. The rule is that you are called for blocking if you take the inside line while someone is trying to pass you in a corner. But Helio did not choose the inside line; Power chose the outside line and tried to pass on the outside while Helio was holding his line. How would Helio not be on the inside line? If Power wants to pass on a corner without causing any blocking, isn’t he supposed to take the inside line? And if he is already trying to pass on the outside, hasn’t he forced Helio to take the inside line around that corner? The problem seems to me that all such factors were not taken into account when the rule was established, and it is consequently a rule that will always cause trouble.

17. Manny on July 26, 2010 9:07 pm
    Manny

First of all I like to say that I have been a Indy/Cart/Champ Car fan for many years, and now of the Indy League as well. I feel that Brian Barnhart should NOT be the disision maker. It should be up to the race director and personaly I think he should step down from the IRL, there was no blocking by any means. And second I feel that Will Power went over the line as a team player and dished his team mate, I know Roger Penske and if there is one thing he insists on is being a team player which Will Powers did not display after the race. I am personally very disiponted in both of them and on the IRL personal for not standing up for Helio. It is what it is. It was a bad call and a bad day for IRL, now Helio should not have gone after the Security which I know too and hes a very nice guy, but when you did nothing wrong but hold your line and you get stripped for your win! You would be pissed of too. Its a sad day for any IRL fan when you see this kind of call be made by a simple minded person who’s never been in that situation or never competed at that level. I know that Roger was at the Brickyard and maybe that would not have happened if he would have been there. If I was Roger I would not compete for the rest of the season and tell Mr. Brian Barnhart to check the TV ratings and the stands at the up coming IRL events. I hope that this was a learning Experience for Mr. Brian Barnhart and I hope he does not come back for the 2011 season.