What are your off-season plans?

Posted on: October 5, 2010 | Comments(36) | Fans | By: Daniel

What do you do in the off-season? Do you watch re-runs of all the 2010 races? Start planning for the 2011 season? Work on your Fantasy Racing team? We want to know.

Chip Ganassi and team

The 2010 IZOD IndyCar Champions

It’s only been a few days since Dario Franchitti won the 2010 IZOD IndyCar Series Championship…but I’ve already noticed some interesting online withdrawal. @IndyCarNation follower @NDcarTwit tweeted: “Think everyone should take a month off, and then let’s go again! Can’t wait till next Spring for more IndyCar racing!”

On our Facebook page, Wendy Gilbert wrote, “I’m in withdrawal already. Can’t wait until March 27th!” And another Facebook IndyCar fan – Leoth Wade, said” I’m ready now for the 2011 Indy 500. I can’t wait for it. Thanks to IZOD for making 2010 a great season.”

You really like your IndyCar racing.

It’s not much different for us. We still have some more content to share from the 2010 Season, and obviously things are well underway for 2011 – you can check out the schedule, here. On the .com side of things, we’re already working on different content ideas to help you, our fans (and us too), get through the off-season. What kinds of things would you like to see?  Keep in mind we’re active on YouTube, Flickr, Facebook and Twitter – so think big – we create videos, take lots of photos and we’re not shy when it comes to throwing contests.

New Fan Designed 2012 Aero Package

2012 Chassis Design submitted by one of our fans

Beyond the off-season, we’re already thinking ahead to pre-season testing, the upcoming Centennial running of the Indianapolis 500, and all of the other 2011 IZOD IndyCar Series events. We attack each of the races with our fans in mind – trying to provide behind-the-scenes access to the IndyCar Series, the different personalities involved, the speed and technology behind the sport, and the passion within racing. We value and respect all of these things, because we know you do too.

For the 2011 season, we want you more involved. We would like to know what type of content you like, what you like to view or read, and what new things you would like to learn.

In the meantime, good luck in the off-season and check back on IndyCar.com for more updates. Don’t be a stranger.

Comments

1. Lance on October 5, 2010 11:36 pm
    Lance

Working timing & scoring would be swell. It had far too many issues in 2010.

2. Kalinin on October 6, 2010 9:28 am
    Kalinin

I’d like to have more info about teams, sponsors, and specialy the truth about the actual situation of IndyCar Series. TV ratings, how the sponsors are seeing IndyCar at this moment, is the future good? I think that we, the fans, deserve to know it all!

3. Kalinin on October 6, 2010 9:30 am
    Kalinin

Ah! More old races in youtube too! :D

4. Tony on October 6, 2010 9:30 am
    Tony

Keep us updated on the drivers in the league as well as all the changes to come in the offseason.

5. Tmac47 on October 6, 2010 9:37 am
    Tmac47

Bring Tony Stewart back for the 100th race.. I do like the upcoming changes. Keep up the good work!

6. Kalinin on October 6, 2010 9:38 am
    Kalinin

Tony Stewart (and 90% of NASCAR drivers xD) is too fat for a IndyCar!!!!

7. Tmac47 on October 6, 2010 9:39 am
    Tmac47

One more comment. More ovals, less road courses! RCs reminding me of my drive into work. Let these rockets do what they r built for. SPEED!

8. Kalinin on October 6, 2010 9:45 am
    Kalinin

Ah! I have another suggestion: Ok maybe 20 races is too much. But then 18 races, 9 road/street + 9 ovals. But.. don’t make like the actual schedure with 4 or 5 road/street in a row then 4 or 5 ovals in a row, IF it’s possible make it 1 oval then 1 street/road then oval then street/road again. I think everyone would likes it and we wouldn’t have to wait so much for the kind of track that we like more (I like them all but sometimes I’d like to see a oval race but have to wait a lot for this).
    is that possible?

9. Patrick on October 6, 2010 10:22 am
    Patrick

Give us more “Design It” type opportunities, and access to a 3D file with the safety car in it (even if it is only accurate in appearance.)

Maybe a weekly profile on a different driver, team, or even sponsor would be interesting. (For sponsors, interview their representative about why they sponsor the series.)

I agree that more ovals = better racing.

10. Zachary on October 6, 2010 10:30 am
    Zachary

I guess for me, I’d like more activities on the offseason to take my daughter to. Whether it’s meeting some IndyCar drivers at a special event at the mall, or at an evening out somewhere, that’d be really nice.

Fan appreciation day was great, but I’d also love more activities for younger fans, esp. Online.

11. EW on October 6, 2010 10:41 am
    EW

1. All Ovals, like the IRL was supposed to be.
    2. Televise on a normal station we can watch.
    3. Dont abandon Homestead after 15 years.
    4. Do whatever it takes to make the cars race closer together

12. mbrady on October 6, 2010 12:48 pm
    mbrady

Expand the You Tube library to let us watch past races. Let us know in advance of events. Some of the complaints I have seen are because appearances and special dates are announced the day of the event.

13. gumball5909 on October 6, 2010 12:55 pm
    gumball5909

1. Mention every car and sponsor during the telecast. Nascar does a great job of sponsor recognition for the second and third tier teams.

2. Make the engine unstressed in order to bring more suppliers into the fold.

3. F1 and Nascar has daily updats in the off season. We need more to develop new fans and retain existing fans.

4. Embrace the varied history of Indy Car and bring back old drivers to remind fans of the unique series we have.

5. MORE AIRTIME FOR ALL CARS NOT JUST THE RED ONES!

14. solvera on October 6, 2010 2:43 pm
    solvera

I love learning about the technology and physics of the cars. How downforce works, all the different ways airflow comes into play, how the slingshot effect works etc. I also like getting tidbits of background information. I loved how, during the last race, pit crew members introduced themselves one by one.

Someone on the forums suggested a type of road show to get people jazzed up for the upcoming season. Here in New England alot of people dont know about racing so a well publicized event would be great. I would absolutely volunteer to help plan something like that.

15. George O'Donnell on October 6, 2010 4:24 pm
    George O

Firstly I think it’s great that Indycar has a blog and that you will be receptive to our thoughts.

I come at Indycar from a different perspective from most. I am British and follow the series from the UK. This is hard to do as the races are on satellite tv, night races start very late over here, and I am a student with not too much free time. It’s hard to follow Indycar news and know really what is going on, short of the stories on the official website, and a few all-encompassing news websites. If this could be improved that would be great. I’d like to hear lots of announcements, hear from the drivers, hear about testing, that sort of thing. In a country where Dario Franchitti received no recognition of his title at the weekend, news is very hard to come by!

Also I think you need to make the official forums free. I can’t join because I don’t have any dollars or a zip code, but if you really want all the fans and potential fans to be talking about Indycar racing then you need to make this free – as most online forums are.

Showing more classic videos online would be a bonus too. Indycar racing is improving after the lows of the split, but is still nowhere near as good as CART from the late ’90s. Show us the great moments so that we believe that one day the series will return to it’s original glory!

16. Dave E on October 6, 2010 4:27 pm
    Dave E

More history & stats would be nice and more past race highlights. Coming from the UK the only access we have is Internet or the rip-off that is Sky. Still am coming over for the Indy 500 so most of the off season will be spent wishing my life away :)

17. Dave E on October 6, 2010 5:00 pm
    Dave E

George. Good point well made. The only time that Indycar got any main stream exposure in the UK was when the great Mansell took the series by storm (albeit for one season only). Pity when the UK have produced recent champions and good racers. Blundell, Wheldon, Wilson, Franchitti etc.

18. sandy on October 6, 2010 6:30 pm
    sandy

An in-depth look at individual drivers/teams.Grow the fan base of all drivers and teams…….market each driver/team by showing 1 hour specials on their on and off track activites,likes and dislikes,their families,how/why they got to indycars,their hobbies,what do they drive off the track, their trophys etc etc 1 0r 2 per week would take us thru march 2011.

Show re-runs of history making races and finishes.

cover the indycar drivers off season activities….many are racing v8’s in Aus. Briscoe driving at Bathurst.I believe Helio is racing in Columbia. Wheldon is probably go karting. Should be covered on TV or at least live streaming….not tape delay!!!

Technical programs .

Videos of Tours of Race shops………we don’t all live in Indy or charlotte!! Interviews with Team Owners,strategists, lets meet the pit crews and their training regimes,fab shop /engine depts/etc.

Videos and/or Tv program on how the cars and equipment transported to Motegi.What it takes to put on a race overseas!

Advertise appearances of drivers.What,When Where.Follow up with blogs,videos pictures.

Not enough driver/team teeshirts/caps/jackets available for fans………….or information where to purchase!Most of us can only buy on-line,local stores don’t sell .

on-line quizzes,competitions,fun-facts ,”all about indycar.” contests etc.

“A day in the Life of a driver”……..What do they do all day.Briscoe leads a pretty interesting life with his pets,boating on Lake Norman,exercising,wife Nicole,even DIY home improvements!
    Another example to market the drivers/grow the fan base.

Should have been MORE coverage of the End of year celebration/Awards for Championship.etc.VERSUS should have covered this fully with interviews/videos,etc etc.

Thanks for asking for ideas………many have contributed so far with good and positive suggestions…..off-season withdrawal symptoms already setting in!!!

19. Mirage 101 on October 6, 2010 8:59 pm
    Mirage 101

I’d like to see a lot of wallpapers with all the cars, drivers, race action, team logos, tracks, etc… please… :)

20. Forrest on October 6, 2010 10:55 pm
    Forrest

Love the idea of seeing old races on YouTube. Connect the current stars to the past. Dario and Helio have won enough to be named with the others. Tie what these guys are doing to the glory years. Love what Bernard is doing…i feel there is hope for the racing I have always loved. Keep up the good work.

21. pimimo on October 6, 2010 10:56 pm
    pimimo

More ovals, less road courses..!! the drivers, the sponsor, the fans we like the speed.
    please Don’t abandon Homestead after 15 years..!!!!
    Last race, is the same to Homestead.

22. Daniele on October 7, 2010 3:47 am
    Daniele

Please, put in the schedule, for 2012, the Monza GP Track… It’s the faster street circuit of the world and can give great overtakes opportunities. And Italy loves IndyCar. (ok, the track is a 30 miles from my home…)

23. solvera on October 7, 2010 4:21 pm
    solvera

We were chatting on the forums how races should be free for kids under 12, and maybe half-price tickets for seniors. It would be great to promote live races as a family-friendly, cost-effective option.

24. Sydney on October 7, 2010 10:08 pm
    Sydney

I figure out what race I’m going to attend and I follow all of the driver/team announcements. I’m thinking there’s going to be quite a few driver changes for 2011!

25. Cris from BA on October 8, 2010 12:11 pm
    Cris from BA

I’m gonna miss the season like crazy! I’ll wait anxious for the 2011 season, and I’ll like to see:
    - More ovals! (c’mon, indy fans loves ovals)
    - more races (ovals)
    - Not leaving Homestead!
    - More behind the scenes and more bloopers
    - More races in South America!!

26. IndyMax38 on October 8, 2010 12:21 pm
    IndyMax38

I’ve watching Indy for many years because i saw Greg Moore having his accident :( (
    From France, i say that Indy is fantastic. Much better than F1.
    In France, we can only watch Indy on Indycar.com….
    So i’d like you to improve the live with a better production of the pictures in the aim to see on the web like the TV.
    Sometimes, most of the races are seem from helicopter or anything else.
    One more thing is the zip code (impossible for France…).
    As it was said, The last race of Indy is too early ; F1 and Nascar have many races until November…
    It would be good to have about 20 events a year.
    I know it’ll be strange but…just a race in France would be magic !!! Please….

27. Norm on October 8, 2010 11:45 pm
    Norm

Some want more ovals, some (including me) prefer the road courses. Don’t give up the mixture.

28. Kathleen on October 9, 2010 10:26 pm
    Kathleen

Develop more passing areas on the road and street courses. I’m tired of watching single file parades. These used to be exciting races, with Alex Zanardi passing Bryan Herta over the grass and Paul Tracy bumping his teammate Dario out of the race with his Chrome Horn. Please, it’s ridiculous to “race” without lots of passing areas. I also like the idea of every other race being an oval. Mix it up.

Please, cover the Championship events and give us more post season interviews. There is a huge build-up all year leading up to the championship. Once the last race is over, we fans are dropped like a hot potato, excluded from the rest of the year’s events. It’s a big let-down after all the time we’ve invested over the course of the season.

Champ Car had a really good website; I wish you could go back and take a look at it. The Indy site has never seemed user friendly and I can’t find much that interests me. I don’t care about the other fans. I miss the post-qualifying and post-race reports from all the teams. I want to know what happened to each driver and why they performed the way they did.

Race coverage- please do a better job of covering the entire race, front to back. I want to WATCH Tony Kaanan move up through the field, not just hear about it. Show us more of the great passing happening in the back and less of the race leaders circling the track.

I’ve watched every race for the last 15 years (well, Cart, Champ Car and then IRL, once the teams started jumping over) and I want it to be exciting again. Mr. Barnhart, I think you’re on the right track. Please keep up the momentum!

29. CARLO on October 10, 2010 11:25 pm
    CARLO

WHY NOT BUY TV COVERAGE ON SPEED AND RERUN SOME RACES FROM THIS PAST YEAR DURING THE OFFSEASON. THIS WOULD BE A GREAT WAY TO GET AND KEEP INDYCAR RACING IN THE MINDS OF PEOPLE DURING THE OFF SEASON. HEY MONSTER TRUCK RACING DOES IT AND IT WORKS.

30. CARLO on October 10, 2010 11:30 pm
    CARLO

WHY DOESN’T HONDA INCREASE THEIR ENGINE HORSEPOWER AT LEAST 100 MORE AND BUMP THE RVS TO 14000RPM. I LIKE MILLIONS OF OTHER FANS WOULD LOVE TO SEE A ENGINE BLOW UP IN INDYCAR RACING. JUST LIKE THAT DAYS OF CART. CONSIDERING IT’S THE LAST YEAR FOR THAT HONDA V8 ENGINE. SHOW US LOYAL FANS WHAT THAT ENGINE CAN REALLY DO. DON’T BRAG THAT THEIR WAS NEVER A HONDA ENGINE FAILURE IN THE IRL.I FOR SURE WOULD HOPE NOT ESPECIALLY ONLY TURNING 10000RPM.

31. CARLO on October 10, 2010 11:33 pm
    CARLO

WATCH THE MICHIGAN 500 FROM 1996-2001. INDYCAR ONLY HAS TO COPY THAT ENGINE AND CHASSIS FORMULA’S. ESPECIALLY NOW THAT THEIR IS ONLY ONE SERIES NOW WE WOULD PUT NASCAR OUT OF BUSINESS.

32. Jp on October 11, 2010 7:07 pm
    Jp

i would love to see more races. Both IRL and Champcar.

Being from down under, I would kill to see some old races from Surfers Paradise. It was a brilliant track, an awesome event, it doesnt belong to the v8supercars! it SHOULD be an Indycar race!!!

33. Jnoggle on October 31, 2010 10:15 pm
    Jnoggle

More ovals, especially Milwaukee, MIS, Homestead, and Chicagoland. Road courses can be mostly tolerated but get rid of all the silly street circuits. How much passing ever occured on them?

34. skip hire Uxbridge on August 9, 2014 9:05 pm
    skip hire Uxbridge

I’m not that much of a internet reader to be honest but your sites really nice,
    keep it up! I’ll go aheead and bookimark your
    site to come back in the future. Cheers

35. sport car wallpaper on October 11, 2014 12:20 pm
    sport car wallpaper

What’s up mates, its fantastic article about cultureand entirely defined, keep it up
    all the time.

36. Eulalia on October 23, 2014 2:00 am
    Eulalia

I do agree with all the concepts you have presented in your post.
    They are very convincing and will certainly work.
    Still, the posts are too short for beginners. Could you please prolong them a little from subsequent time?

Thanks for the post.