INDYCAR and a new logo

Posted on: January 9, 2011 | Comments(8) | Random | By: Dave

It’s no secret that the sanctioning body of the IZOD IndyCar Series and Firestone Indy Lights is changing its name to INDYCAR (yes, all caps, but it isn’t an acronym) from the Indy Racing League.

“As I was talking to fans through the course of last season, I realized that we needed to make a name change to reflect the history and heritage of our sport,” said Randy Bernard, CEO of INDYCAR.  “The INDYCAR name has more world-wide recognition and is in-line with our positioning as the fastest, most versatile racing and drivers in the world.”

The formal announcement will come Tuesday, Jan. 11, during the State of INDYCAR program in Indianapolis. Drivers — plus team, sponsor, racetrack representatives – will hear from INDYCAR principals about the momentum of the series, some tweaks to the competition side and a few surprise announcements.

Revisiting the name change, one unveiling will be the new logo for the sanctioning body. Stay tuned.

New INDYCAR logo?

Not quite ready to unveil

Comments

1. Paul on January 9, 2011 9:54 pm
    Paul

It should be “INDYCar” focus on the INDY

2. Crumpacker on January 10, 2011 10:57 am
    Crumpacker

I also here “Ivan’s Barber Shop” is getting a new logo :)

3. NaBUru38 on January 12, 2011 10:14 am
    NaBUru38

Oh, I really don’t like IndyCar in all caps. It feels like shouting.

4. Emil on January 12, 2011 1:39 pm
    Emil

I think IndyCar, only two capitals but stylized in a logo would be better . . . CART would even be better ;<)

5. ScarecroW on January 14, 2011 11:36 am
    ScarecroW

I think the only reason the league has chosen to go with the INDYCAR renaming rather than the classic IndyCar is because they are in competition with NASCAR which has been capitalized for more than a decade, personally I like the classic look, it looks better and is a tad more professional.

6. Nucklz on January 14, 2011 1:29 pm
    Nucklz

LOVE IT! ALL CAPS DOES SOUND LIKE SHOUTING WHICH IS EXACTLY WHAT YOU DO WHEN THEY FIRE UP THE ENGINES ON THE STARTING GRID. I LOVE INDYCAR! LET’S RACE!

7. Jesse on January 15, 2011 11:35 pm
    Jesse

I think it would be a terrible mistake to fully capitalize “Indycar”. Firstly, you have to look at NASCAR and understand why it is capitalized like it is. It’s an acronym. Each letter stands for something. It is proper to then capitalize each letter. Now with IndyCar, that is NOT an acronym. It’s two words put together; Indy and Car. Hence, IndyCar. While it still could be INDYCAR, that’s just trying to copy NASCAR, which IndyCar is not, nor will ever be, and I mean that in the VERY best way.

8. Lance on January 16, 2011 4:15 pm
    Lance

Hey Jesse, what are “NOT” and “VERY” acronyms for?

I do agree IndyCar is the way to go.