Iowa Speedway – the IndyCar Series’ shortest circuit – emerged, literally, from a corn field.

Small wonder, then, the Iowa Corn Growers Association has been the title sponsor of the Iowa Corn Indy 250 – which will again bring the established stars and hungry upstarts of the IZOD IndyCar Series to Newton’s fast 7/8-mile tri-oval on June 25.

We’re proud of our agricultural roots, from the rich soil beneath the facility to the high-performance fuel powering the car engines.

Iowa Speedway

A fan demonstrates their pride for Iowa Speedway's agricultural roots

Extreme excitement – from the grandstands to the garage – has rippled through the first four renditions of the popular event and the spirited crowd has topped the 35,000 mark each time.

Drivers hail the 7/8-mile Rusty Wallace-designed track as racy, ultra-demanding, and a pleasure to navigate.

“I love the track and I love the fans at Iowa,” Tony Kanaan, who won the 2010 Iowa Corn Indy 250 after three hard-luck runs/DNFs at Newton. The place is always packed – beyond packed – with people everywhere.  It is a track that races both like a short track and a super-speedway, so it is a lot of fun to drive.”

Tony Kanaan and Helio Castroneves at Iowa Speedway

Tony Kanaan and Helio Castroneves jokingly celebrate at Iowa Speedway

And despite being carved out of prime farmland, there’s plenty of fun - racing and otherwise – to be found in Newton and within a half hour or so from here. The venerable “Sprint Car Capital of the World,” Knoxville Raceway, surrounds a hallowed half-mile ring of dirt a mere 30 miles from Iowa Speedway. Iowa’s capital city, Des Moines, is about the same distance away and a straight shot on Interstate 80. We draw from central Iowa and beyond – with fans from 26 states enjoying the speedway.

And rest assured, if there’s a race, Iowans line up to attend.

They tailgate enthusiastically. They get involved – cheering, discussing, dissecting the day’s (or night’s) action. They’re knowledgeable, but not snobbish about it. They’ll say, ‘Hi,’ and ask how you’re doing with a genuine interest in your answer. You’ll feel right at home here, on IndyCar’s only short track of less than a mile in length – nestled in small town Iowa, but criss-crossed by well-traveled, coast-spanning interstate highways.

Yes, there’s that corn, both around the track and fueling the car’s engines. And that’s a good thing – for the economy, for the environment, and for performance.

We think when you come see us, you’ll heartily agree. We look forward to seeing you all at our facility, and are determined to help make the 2011 Iowa Corn Indy 250 the best one to date. So tell us your ideas below– Have you attended a race at Iowa Speedway? Tell your fellow fans what sets Iowa Speedway apart!

Comments

1. Susan Scott on February 9, 2011 3:10 pm
    Susan Scott

Please host a tweet up at the track. I was hoping for one last year but was disappointed that there wasn’t one.

2. Iowa Speedway on February 9, 2011 3:21 pm
    Iowa Speedway

Thanks, Susan, for sharing your thoughts. We’ll definitely look into that. We hope that’s the only thing that disappointed you about the event. Thanks again!

3. Dan Bender on February 9, 2011 3:34 pm
    Dan Bender

Two years ago, we attended our first IndyCar race, though I’ve been a fan for years. After the Iowa Corn 250, my wife tells me that we have to come here every year. Hey….if you say so, honey. Love that 7/8 mi track!!!

4. Iowa Speedway on February 9, 2011 3:45 pm
    Iowa Speedway

Thanks, Dan! We appreciate the kind words and faithful patronage. Hope to see you again this season and beyond!

5. Karla on February 9, 2011 3:47 pm
    Karla

This race has switched to a Saturday? Is it a night race???

6. Iowa Speedway on February 9, 2011 4:02 pm
    Iowa Speedway

That is correct, Karla. Saturday night, under the lights!

7. Jenn on February 9, 2011 4:33 pm
    Jenn

Okay, I have only been to 2 tracks: Indy and Iowa. I grew up around Indy and thought that was the ONLY track. Now IOWA is my home. During the season there are plenty of fun things offered. I loved the bowling with the drivers at Bass Pro for the May race. I love how you can go into the Garages during Indy weekend with a Garage Pass. The drivers I met there were very friendly.
    I agree a Tweet-up would be awesome.

8. Jon on February 9, 2011 4:37 pm
    Jon

I’ve been to every race there, including the first one where parking was a mess due to heavy rains the week before. As a season ticket holder I look forward to the one this year as well. Will miss the one at Kansas Speedway. Sorry to see it off the schedule.

9. Bill on February 9, 2011 6:08 pm
    Bill

Being from central Iowa I’m a big dirt fan. After attending the first Indy race in Iowa I was hooked. Season tickets ever since. Now I plan on also attending Milwaukee since I do prefer shorter tracks.

10. Chris on February 9, 2011 7:46 pm
    Chris

Racing under the lights @ IOWA is Incredible! A little bigger selection of merchandise vendors would be nice though…

11. Susan Scott on February 10, 2011 1:09 pm
    Susan Scott

Thanks for responding to the post about a tweetup! Yes, that was the only thing that was disappointing! Last year was my third Indycar race there and I won pit passes from Newman-Haas. It was an amazing weekend!

12. Iowa Speedway on February 10, 2011 2:11 pm
    Iowa Speedway

Thanks for all the comments and suggestions. We welcome more and look forward to seeing you all out here again in June!

13. Paul on February 11, 2011 8:02 am
    Paul

The Iowa Speedway is one of the best on the schedule! This is the last year for the indycar contract there. I sure hope that Iowa and Indy are planning to renew the contract for another 3 years!!! I would probably cancel my Season Tickets to the speedway. In addition, I would think that Indy loves having a sold out race! Let’s hope Indy and Iowa stay together for a long time!!

14. This Week in INDYCAR: Team Shop Visits, Groupon Deals, and a Legend Passes | The Official Blog of the IZOD IndyCar Series on February 13, 2011 10:30 am

[...] was a busy week for tracks with Iowa Speedway asking fans what they hope to see at this year’s Iowa Corn Indy 250, the series saying [...]

15. Juan Trujillo on May 23, 2011 11:51 pm
    Juan Trujillo

At what time the race start??? suggestions for arriving at the track??