2011 and Photography

Posted on: March 26, 2011 | Comments(14) | Flickr | By: Daniel

I’ve lost count of the number of Flickr or photography related posts I’ve written on this blog. As a hobbyist in the area, I have tremendous respect for the people that shoot our IndyCar events. Our photography staff and the numerous photographers that follow the IndyCar circus from event to event, put in long hours to capture ‘the’ shot. They are typically the first and last to leave the track. They spend 10-14 hours in all types of weather, loaded up with equipment, dodging the crowds, teams and fast cars. Then they rush back to the media center to review, edit and upload images. It’s a really tough job. But we reap the benefits. These images appear all over the world, and of course on indycar.com.

Bourdais in pit lane

Bourdais at St. Pete

We have a different approach for 2011. More images. More diversity. And importantly better access for our fans. We want to use photography to bring the world of IndyCar racing alive. And to be perfectly honest, we want to ‘wow’ you with our images. I know that won’t be easy.

Helio smokes the rear tires

Helio Castroneves at Barber Motorsports Park

We are collaborating with more photographers in 2011. For the St. Petersburg race this weekend, we’ve already worked with a variety of skilled photogs – including our own talented IndyCar staff (Dan Helrigel, Chris Jones, Dana Garrett), members of LAT Photography (Mike Levitt, Phil Abbott, Ron Bijlsma, Walt Kuhn), and Dan Boyd. Everyone has their own style, their own approach and their own way of viewing things. That gives us even more opportunities to bring the race track experience into the online experience.

Conway in pit lane

Bringing you up close

We ask for your feedback often and we do listen. Tell us what you think of our images. Let us know if you have requests. We’ll get the shot.

Wow?

A dramatic shot of Dario Franchitti

Comments

1. Jeffrey P. on March 26, 2011 11:13 am
    Jeffrey P.

Would love to help photograph in Texas if you need an extra anywhere! Usually in the pits anyways haha.

2. MIke L on March 26, 2011 11:45 am
    MIke L

Love the photos! Your photographers are GENIUSES!!!!

3. Lee Greenhaw on March 26, 2011 12:34 pm
    Lee Greenhaw

i wish i could have your job

4. Rob Murray on March 26, 2011 2:56 pm
    Rob Murray

You should do photo walks at each track for your core fans. It will be a huge win for the fans as they get to learn how to shoot motorsports better. They will get great access and you will get images all over the web for free. You will also gain a lot of respect.

5. John J. on March 26, 2011 3:26 pm
    John J.

I had the privilege of shooting a race near the newspaper I work for a few years ago, and my hat’s off to the guys who do this every day. I’ve shot thousands of events, including many races around our state, but this was the first time I ever went through a briefing on what to do if you catch on fire … true story.

6. Gail on March 26, 2011 9:11 pm
    Gail

Awesome shots! Thumbs up to your entire photography staff!

7. Ralph on March 26, 2011 10:19 pm
    Ralph

Agree with Rob Murray’s post about having “photo walks” for core fans and maybe selling a limited number of photo passes for non-pro photographers.

8. Dan on March 26, 2011 10:24 pm
    Dan

It would be nice to be able to get better access to where you can get better shots on track. Or maybe some kinda lotto a photographer can enter to closer to the action by signing a waiver. Another thing I’d like to see is More Fan Photos.

9. jen on March 26, 2011 10:38 pm
    jen

Amazing photos! Keep up the great work! My husband is on one of the crews for Andretti Autosport & I thank you for helping me feel closer when I can’t be there. I’m really looking forward to pictures of tomorrows pit stops! I’m actually hoping for lots of pit stop photos! Thanks!

10. Marcia Jackson on March 27, 2011 12:41 am
    Marcia Jackson

You are doing a great job! Love the pics! (I always look to see if my daughter is in a picture, but she hides when she sees a camera….or is too busy! Thanks!

11. Joseph Bellamy on March 27, 2011 4:53 pm
    Joseph Bellamy

I’ve covered Indy events in the past for wire services. I was set to cover some races this year, however I’m being sent more on the way of baseball and football this year. Motorosports is by far my favorite photography to do. I’m gonna miss having farmer’s tans on Mondays. You guys/gals have fun and be safe out there!

12. Charles on March 27, 2011 9:04 pm
    Charles

Can I use photos for editorial content on my website? Thanks.

13. Daniel Incandela | danielincandela.com on April 4, 2011 9:54 pm
    Daniel Incandela | danielincandela.com

[...] in August I wrote about my experience in racing, holding a camera. Last week, on the IndyCar blog, I wrote about some of the changes in our photographic approach for the 2011 season. Both were [...]

14. Charles on April 11, 2011 11:08 am
    Charles

Again… Can I use photos for editorial content on my website? Thanks.