Yes, this post has a somewhat peculiar title. Think about it and you’ll realize it’s a throw back to Limp Bizkit of all artists. Lyrics aside, this post is all about a his and hers perspective on everything that’s happening down here deep in the heart of Texas.

You probably already know him or are familiar with his website already. He’s Tyler Carmichael of IndyCar Garage. Whether you know her or you don’t, Julie can be found behind IndyCar.com or here. First, we’ll talk about each other and then we’ll talk about three photos from today with a his and her’s perspective.

Julie’s Perspective on Tyler: I met Tyler last month at the Indianapolis Motor Speedway but we began working together a few weeks prior. Tyler had put his website, IndyCar Garage up for an IndyCar.com contest for motorsports writers to represent fans in an iRacing Virtual 500 Race. Before “allowing” him to stake his claim to fans, I of course had to dig in and read. Just like me, Tyler loves using different types of content and letting everyone else have a voice too. Visit his website and you’ll see videos, forum threads, photos, and more but, most importantly, you’ll feel like you’re there for a chat among fellow fans. In person, he’s every bit as genuine as his website comes across and I hope you enjoy the perspectives he shares below.

Tyler’s Perspective on Julie: I met Julie through the virtual Indy 500 competition that she was promoting for IndyCar writers and bloggers. I participated in the virtual Indy 500 on behalf of IndyCar Garage but with very poor results, I think I finished 8th out of 10 drivers. Julie was kind enough to help www.IndyCarGarage.com get some recognition through IndyCar.com and the promotion of the Virtual 500. Julie seems to be an out of the box type thinker and person that has thousands of IndyCar thoughts coming through her head at any moment. In all reality Julie represents the future of what social media is for IndyCar and motorsports in general.

Photo 1 – Simona de Silvestro

Simona de Silvestro still recovering from burns suffered at Indy

Simona de Silvestro

She Says: When you meet Simona in person, she is warm and friendly. It’s as simple as that. And when Simona gets into a car and starts flying at speeds over 220 mph, I think of her like that badass best friend that skipped class in college to go drink at the bar. When I saw this photo it was like relief to realize she’s recovering from Indy. Everyone should have a badass best friend to laugh about the hangover with later…

He Says: When you see Simona you automatically think of the word HEARTBREAK, Texas last year comes to mind when she was on fire and literally couldn’t find anyone to put her out. Indy for Simona this year makes you think of more fire and ruining her primary car, and driving some thing called porkchop. The girl is still wearing gloves, driving an eight year old car, and doesn’t have much oval experience, but you can’t tell! I also can’t wait to talk with Simona before Saturday’s race (see more below).

Photo #2- James Hinchcliffe

Rookie James Hinchcliffe talks with his engineer during qualifying

James Hinchcliffe

She Says: Sometimes, I notice different things than other people. You see James Hinchcliffe and his silly hand position. I see the water bottle in his hand. Specifically, the Canadian Maple Leaf proudly represented on it. Growing up an hour and a half from the Canadian border (Erie, PA) I happen to be somewhat fluent in Canadian culture. Well, at least, how to order at Tim Hortons: large coffee, black and a box of cherry Timbits please. With Tags on the Pole now, all I can say is, “Go Team Canada.”

He Says: James is actually giving a thumbs up or down to his engineer about how his car felt when he drove it around the streets of Dallas last night for the Mavs/Heat Game. In all reality the young Canadian is probably trying adjust to his first experience at Texas Motor Speedway. Hinch is well spoken, considers himself a Mayor on twitter, and is one of the bright young stars of IndyCar. I think he would be a great guy to see in victory lane.

Photo #3- JR Hildebrand

JR Hildebrand focuses during qualifying

JR Hildebrand

She Says: Fresh from a wreck at the Indy 500 with the 5 o’clock shadow to prove it. I can be a perfectionist and not doing my best can cause me to lose sleep at night too. But here’s the thing, the guy did he best and caught some tough luck. He’s out here today and he’s FAST plus, he’s packing the incredible experience of running the oval at Indy. When I see this shot, I see a young guy that’s hungry. He wants a win and came close enough to taste it two weeks ago. Tomorrow night, my eyes will be on JR.

He Says: JR is thinking, can I catch a freaking break? I am 300 yards from Indy 500 history and I hit the marbles? Then I injury my knee promoting the Texas race? What are the chances I hit the marbles and tear my ACL within two weeks?. They say bad things come in three, well lets hope JR had something bad to him that no one knows about. He is a young American that deserved a ride two  years ago and finally caught one this year with a great sponsor in the National Guard. JR  can’t play the “What If” game or he would drive himself crazy, he is focused, determined, well spoken, and a huge 49ers fan, lets hope he catches some better luck at Texas.

Last things last, He and She have a challenge. We’ve decided to try and get 500 “Likes” on this blog post. Julie is starting with an email to her friends and Tyler is starting by placing a phone call to his mother. Perhaps if you’re an INDYCAR fan you could show us some love with a “like” too. He mentioned it above,  but keep an eye on IndyCar Garage for Tyler’s interview with Simona…. he’ll be talking with her tomorrow about her improving team, new sponsor, and upbeat attitude about how she wants to be an INDYCAR driver, unlike some other female drivers driving Open Wheel.

Comments

1. Jennifer Coomer on June 10, 2011 9:32 pm
    Jennifer Coomer

This was fun!
    That’s all I’ve right now b/c most of my attention span is being spent on watching TX Qual. on my DVR.

2. Julie on June 10, 2011 11:04 pm

Thanks, Jennifer. We had a great time sitting down to write this project together. Glad your reading (AND watching!). Enjoy the race tomorrow!

3. David Williams on June 11, 2011 2:50 pm
    David Williams

Quite interesting. Always good to have other views of what’s going on in IndyCar. Now if I just had enough time to look at /read / comment and think about all the IndyCar plus development ladder stuff available. I recently contemplated getting television access to F1 and various sports car race sites and I realized I would never get anything else done. I get very little else done now.

4. Bob Verrall on June 12, 2011 12:11 am
    Bob Verrall

Who thought up the lottery scheme at Texas? It certainaly doesn’t reward the consistent drivers or teams. NOT a good idea. I have watched Indy car from NZ and seen it live at Vancouver, Watkins Glenn & Indianapolis (2008) and this is reducing its appeal.

5. ty on June 12, 2011 12:30 am
    ty

I would have “liked” it immediately until that last part dig on DP7. I’ll probably like it anyways b/c it was pretty good. BTW, I <3 Simona "The Competitor".

6. Jim on June 12, 2011 3:07 am
    Jim

Dario had it right when he said the lottery for the starting positions in race 2 could end up affecting the final championship standing.
    Base the positions in race 2 on the result of race 1. If you want to be cute introduce some factor like number of positions lost or gained in race 1 but don’t put the top 3-5 in race 1 to where they might start in 20+ in race 2 while another top 3-5 driver starts in the top 10 of race 2

7. Gil on June 12, 2011 5:17 am
    Gil

I do not like the two race foremat. I prefer one long race rather than two short races. In a short race the drivers in the back don’t have time to make a race of it. It takes all the fun out of racing.

8. Rexy on June 12, 2011 9:53 am
    Rexy

What a bunch of B.S., is that a lame attempt to copy the NASCAR All Star farce? I gave up after watching the stupid spin the tire and write your name on it segment. Why bore and drive away your fans with an hour of that nonsense? Sent me right to the Stanley Cup then sleep. My take on it all, ZZZZZzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz…….

9. jeff snyder on June 12, 2011 10:44 am
    jeff snyder

seen 40 indys…jr is a moron!

10. Ed on June 12, 2011 11:56 am
    Ed

Dario is a sore loser. He just ought to be thankful that he’s able to race in the IndyCar series again after his TOTAL flop attempt in NASCAR. Be a humble winner and a graceful loser Dario! It is what it is and just accept the race conditions and work with it.

11. jeff snyder on June 12, 2011 12:32 pm
    jeff snyder

By the way, why was Indianapolis the first oval race on the schedule? And why have we gotten back to road-courses? And what happened to Tony (Hulman) George and his supposed love for ovals, open wheels, fairplay, an even field. Can anyone spell M.O.N.E.Y. Welcome back CART, Penske/Andretti(Foyt). Thinking I may skip #41…

12. jeff snyder on June 12, 2011 12:38 pm
    jeff snyder

…best thing I’ve seen at Indy in the past 17 years? The Hot Wheels jump. What a shame…

13. Jerry Miller on June 13, 2011 2:16 pm
    Jerry Miller

Can we all agree that the first race at Texas was terrific, and the second, well, not so much? The random draw for starting positions turned out to be a not-so-great idea (just ask Dario). A new plan is needed. Inverting the field, as Dario suggested, scares me as being unsafe and producing a bad race as well. How about one of these alternatives: Plan A, Invert the first half of the finishing order from race 1 (Saturday, 15-1) and then the same for the last half (30-16). Or, Plan B, if the random drawing is an absolute must, have the first half of the finishing order draw randomly for the first half of the starting grid (1-15) for race 2, then the last half do the same for the last half of the starting order (16-30). Either one would produce a better race than what we got late Saturday night, and a fairer one, too.