Three days in the basement

Posted on: September 15, 2011 | Comments(7) | Drivers | By: Arni

Some IZOD IndyCar drivers will go to any length to get a competitive advantage over their fellow competitors.

Sunoco Rookie of the Year contender James Hinchcliffe used the Playstation 3 game Gran Turismo to get his first look at Twin Ring Motegi’s road course.

Of course, he didn’t plan on spending three days to take his first lap around the track.

“Maybe not one of my proudest moments,” said Hinchcliffe, who not only purchased the game and a memory card but borrow a Sony PlayStation 3 before he turned a lap. “Fortunately, I had a couple of teammates – my roommates – who did much of the grunt work. You try and learn a new track any way you can and video games these days are shockingly accurate. You’ll learn more in the first two laps in the actual car, but at least it gave me a little bit of a sense of where to go.”

Hinchcliffe and his roommates “spent three days in the basement” unlocking cars and tracks before finally getting to turn laps on the 14-turn, 2.983-mile road course. But because IndyCars are not in the game, he had to choose a car that is similar in speed.

“Part of the reason it took so long, was a) we had to unlock the tracks and b) I wanted to drive a car that would give me a feel of an IndyCar. I ended up driving the Konica Minolta Nissan Group C sports car. It was worth it.”

Comments

1. Jeff Indianapolis on September 15, 2011 8:56 am
    Jeff Indianapolis

Three days? They were playing “Call to Duty”, not racing around Motegi.

2. Chris on September 15, 2011 4:22 pm
    Chris

I feel like he could have called the game manufacturer up and explained the situation and they could have provided him with some sort of cheat coke to instantly unlock the track and car(s) he desired. The PR alone from having a professional driver use the game to practice would have been worth the effort on their part,

3. Daniel on September 15, 2011 5:53 pm
    Daniel

I don’t think Motegi is on GT5 for PS3, think you mean GT4 for PS2

4. Bode on September 18, 2011 7:30 pm
    Bode

“I feel like he could have called the game manufacturer up and explained the situation and they could have provided him with some sort of cheat coke to instantly unlock the track and car(s) he desired.”

Now what fun would that be?

5. Cory on September 20, 2011 10:39 am
    Cory

Motegi appears on GT5 for ps3. It isn’t actually called Motegi, as most Gran Turismo tracks don’t carry their real names.

6. Doug on September 21, 2011 8:09 am
    Doug

Cory, I don’t think Motegi is part of GT5 under any name. Suzuka and Fuji are there, but neither the Motegi oval or road course are in GT5. They were in GT3 and GT4. Also missing is Sears Point.

7. clacksman on September 26, 2011 11:16 am
    clacksman

Within the Gran Turismo series, Motegi (various road courses and oval) was in GT4 only. “Super Speedway” from GT2 and GT3 is a faked version of the oval course.
    Motegis’ various road courses and speedway also appear in Forza Motorsport 3.